Re: [OM] Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:14:15 -0800
Use a fast lens
Use fast film
Use tripod or monopod or lean against things
Work with the light, rather than against it. Direct sunlight does very different things to color tones and contrast than overcast light. Look at what things look like in the light, visualize interesting images using the light as it is. Softer light gives much more shadowless illumination. Both the outer petals and the secret inner parts of flowers can be captured in ways impossible with direct light without reflectors, fill flash, etc.. Delicate nuances of color often show up. Dancing with the endless variations of light is part of the challenge and joy of photography.

All the scenic images on this page were shot in variable rain (you can see some ripples in the water) around Mirror Lake (or swamp, now) in Yosemite <http://home.attbi.com/0.000000E+00dreammoose/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-MerchantID-50215-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-10.html>. The overcast was so dense and low that we couldn't even see Half Dome directly above our heads. Everything looks different than in sunlight, that's why I like the images.

Moose

Albert wrote:

I went to a local park today and as today was the first day it has stopped raining in the last 7 days, I took quite a few pics of the local flower gardens.

It was a bit overcast with a few breaks once in a while of sun, so I used a 400 speed film, and a polarizer to hopefully chop a little haze.. I have to say, my Tokina 90mmf2.5 is stunning. My 50mm is a great performer also, I like the 50mm more and more.. I'm wondering if I should wait for breaks in the light or should I just take my lick'ns and just shoot with whatever light I have? I shot and on the last few shots, I waited and waited until the sun peeked out a little bit... What do you guys usually do in less than optimal light?