[OM] Re: Revisionist history of the 70s economy

Subject: [OM] Re: Revisionist history of the 70s economy
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:52:33 -0800
>From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Not to mention some tax&spend Democrats who liked the idea very much.

I'm confused. After 8 years of Democratic leadership, we had a budget surplus,
and were paying down our national debt.

After just 2 years of Republican leadership, we are back to deficit spending,
adding to our national debt.

(Granted, the economy has a lot to do with that, but still...)

I don't really want to start a political flame war here, but it seems labelling
situations only make one look silly.

One thing I'll say for the Republicans: they've been very good at managing
"labelling" like that. With his huge defense build-up, Regan was a much bigger
spender than latter presidents, yet somehow the Dems got stuck with the image
of spending.

The biggest difference I see between "tax and spend" politicians and "tax-cut
and spend" politicians (like Regan and Dubya) is that the latter put us further
in debt faster.

But what do I know; I'm just a "liberal," and "everyone knows" that's somewhere
between an earthworm and a terrorist in the grand scheme of things... :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>