Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!

Subject: Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:57:13 -0800
In a message dated 1/9/2003 Bill Barber writes:

<< As I put on my flame proof suit, I share my thought or perhaps my
solution . . .  Tamron SP 180mm f2.5, 300mm f2.8 & 400mm f4 with 1.4X and 2X
converters for less $ than the one "Big White". >>

No nomex suits require, you make a good point. Except (you knew that was
coming) You would have to find really screaming deals on the Tamron trio
plus converters and even then I'm not sure it would be less $. The SP400/4
is especially hard to find a good deal on. From my perspective, I would
prefer to carry the 350/2.8 Tamron SP80-200/2.8 and a couple converters than
the trio you mention above from a size and weight perspective in the field.

My total investment for a 350/2.8, 1.4XA, Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 and Tamron
140F is less than $3k total. The 180/2.5 is reputed to be spectacular, but
the 80-200/2.8 is as well, and is more versatile.

However, where the Tamron trio you mention really shines is that with an AI
mount you could use 'em on a Fuji S2 body and not be scrounging for
vaporware OM to EOS adapters that may, or may not, work on an EOS D body.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com