Re: [OM] OM Damaged hood

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Damaged hood
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:45:08 -0500
I come late to this discussion, but I've been there, done that,
although I didn't get a T-shirt.

Several months ago I got a 135/2.8 in an eBay auction that had a
couple of dings in the hood, not serious enough to keep it from
retracting, but it did drag, and it wasn't pretty.  I used a short
piece of wooden closet rod dowell inside and a plastic dead-blow
hammer gently applied from the outside to smooth things out.  The
metal is fairly soft and malleable, so it doesn't need a lot of
force.  Resorting to the "bigger hammer" method of repair
shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, what is it that makes these particular lenses so easy to
drop and ding up?

Walt