Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] apurely

Subject: Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] apurely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:23:14 -0800
In a message dated 1/10/2003 C.H. Ling writes:

<< A 400mm may be enough as D60 has 1.6x mag. >>

Going a bit OT here discussing Can*n glass now :(

For the two tracks Stephen and I most commonly shoot at in our area, even a
300/2.8 with the D60 would probably be fine. Actually it seems the 100-400L
is quite popular for DSLR use.

However, one of the best sportscar photographers in the world IMO swears by
his 500/4 and uses it on an EOS1D (same 1.6x mag as D60). But he is from the
UK and shoots a lot of tracks where you really need the reach (600-800mm
with 35mm film).

Here in the US Mid Ohio is a track I have heard you really need really long
lenses. This is why I am anxious to see what unfolds in the 4/3 world. The
idea of a 600mm equivalent with f2.8 speed and size of a 35mm 300/2.8 is
quite appealing. Latest rumors flying about is that the new DX lenses by
Nik*n are actually 4/3 compatible optically (mount is another story) and
that the APS size sensors are really not as far off the 4/3 spec as some
seem to believe. (I don't have the actual numbers, I read this last night
and forgot to jot the dimensions down, but it was much closer than I
thought.)

Oh, and how do I use my extreme focal lengths? With a monopod ;-)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com