RE: [OM] Re: a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!
From: "George M. Anderson, Photographer" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:27:57 -0800
Om'ers: Here's an email I received from our old friend Gary Reese. He asked
me to pass it on:

Previously on "As The Zuikoholics Spin" we heard:

Jan: That the one Hanson had in NYC? I bought a 24 shift from him at
the time, and regretted not getting the
180 as well.

George: Unfortunately, it could not be converted back to work in
auto-stop-down mode as a Zuiko lens. (I got a partial rebate from seller
when this was verified.)

Jan: I'm glad he gave you a rebate, 'cause he said he'd convert it back
to OM for me if I bought it. I seem to remember that his repair/mod guy
retired -- perhaps that's why it wouldn't go back to OM.

George: Yep, that's the one.  All he did was put an OM mount on it and
gave me some $$$s to get it converted, cause his guy said he couldn't do
it.  I had one of the best try to do it, but parts just weren't
available.  Oh well.  It's still one great piece of glass.

Gary Reese (jumping now to present time): Hanson's contracted out their
mount conversions to Jeff Akbarzadeh. Jeff "retired" to Boulder City,
Nevada and now does part time repairs, including disassembly of some
Zuikos. I've asked him about his mount conversion days and he says he
can't do them anymore because he doesn't have the metal working
machinery.  But maybe a reversal is doable? Maybe Hanson said what he
said because Jeff was already departed?  I'll ask him next time he is in
at his little corner of Casey's Cameras in Las Vegas.

Jeff will be dragging his test equipment to a start of semester Camera
Clinic here at the Community College of Southern Nevada, where I am a
"faculty advisor" (despite only being an Adjunct Instructor) to the
Photography Club. I proposed the idea to the club due to the large
number of problems beginning students have getting student cameras.
That's also my personal deadline for a working draft on a book about
Student Cameras. It looks like I'll be able to make my deadline. I've
got about 100 pages and here is what is making the cut on Olympus OM:

Top pick chapter:
Olympus OM-2S
Olympus OM-4T
Olymmpus OM-2000 (with a 50mm f/1.8)
Suitable camera (with true manual exposure mode) chapter:
Olympus OM-2n
Olympus OM-4
Olympus OM-G
Olympus OM-PC
Top picks requiring an MR-9 adapter or conversion:
OM-1 and 1n
Not recommended chapter:
Olympus OM-10

I also feature various lenses and accessories, highlighting those most
used by students as well as some world class stuff to make interesting
reading. For Olympus, I have:
50mm f/1.8 MC2 version (of course)
90mm f/2 Macro
50mm f/2 Macro
24mm Shift
Winder 2

Accessories go in as space fillers, so I'm still up in the air about
what else I'll include. If anyone wants to pipe up about the most useful
or most unique/most dreamed about accessories, I'm all ears. A T32 is
probably one.  A T-28 Macro Twin Flash would be one, but I don't have
one to photograph (just an orphan T Power Control 1 waiting for a
mate).  I'd need a white background product shot using two lights if
anyone wants to back up their recommendation with an image. Sorry, no
other images needed.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV