[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3803

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3803
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:47:28 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 > On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:10:15 -0800
 > "George M. Anderson, Photographer" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > I'm kinda curious as to which types of photography such "long"
 (extreme?) focal lengths are being used for by fellow zuikoholics.
 Are everyone bird/wildlife/motorsports photographers, or is it just
 that big glass is facinating? Or, and most likely, perhaps I am just
 > missing out of something... :)

Yes, we're all  motorsports photographers!

Seriously, though, I've had mine less than a year, but I've probably put close to at least 500 frames through it already. CH Ling sold it to me, and it is absolutely beautiful...I would never part with it.

Will Kodak put any more money into Kodachrome? Absolutely not, there's
simply not enough profit in it. Will they, and Fuji, continue to develop
other chromes? Certainly. Film sales continue to rise (although flat since
about 1990, SLR sales have yet to drop), and that's a pile of profit.
Remember, as we shoot film, we support R&D on digital, which isn't really
profitable yet.

Me? I shoot Provia, and I got rid of my 10cc green glasses.

Bill Pearce

I shoot Provia, too. I love it. It's a terrific film. I'd never go back to Kodachrome, much as I liked it twenty years ago. But time marches on, and Provia is a much better film....faster and a much better grain structure.
-Stephen.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:54:14 +1300
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] OM 1 batteries and battery check

Hi, folks,

Thanks to all the people who came back to me about my need for an OM 1 body
for my daughter's birthday. Unfortunately, none of the leads turned into a
buyable camera. So I'm still looking.

<snip>

Michael,
I have a nice, clean OM-1N that I sell you for a very reasonable price. Please contact me off list.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:10:11 +0800
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Grand-daughters of the OM, Digital Stylus!

Well, a cute little DC! If the aperture is a bit larger that would be
great, on the other hand if the noise at ISO320 is low that can
compensate for the problem of small aperture. Let's wait and see the
test result.

C.H.Ling

Winsor Crosby wrote:

 > >Look, a digital mju/stylus. Looks good!
 >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03010903olympusmjud.asp
 >
 >// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>

 Very nice.  Looks a long way from the price of the film Mju/Stylus
 though.  Sigh.  Looks to be a good deal to take to the tropics
 > though.  Waterproof and no film to fight over at airport security.

Oh yeah! I've got my eye on that little digital Stylus, too! It will be the perfect digital for taking along in the CamelBak on the mountain bike or in the tankbag on the motorcycle. It will probably have a nice, sharp lens, and the 4 megapixel res. is perfect....enough for big(ger) prints (larger than 8X10, if desired), but not so big as to have the noise issues of the C5050Z. With it's street price, compactness, resolution, and (apparent) build quality, this looks exactly like what I have been looking for. I can't bring myself to spend 600 clams on the C-50Z, and this appears to be the hot ticket.

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:42:30 -0800
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] ISO as the Third Variable

Luminous Landscape has a page in which the virtues of variable ISO with
digital cameras are extolled. Something I don't think about until
something presents itself and I have the wrong film speed in the OM4T. There are a couple of very nice shots with the Canon EOS1Ds and a
couple of long Canon lenses with telextender.

<http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/third-variable.shtml>

 I saw that, too....pretty neat.

There is also a really good articles about digital photography in general.
I would suggest those interested in understanding why there is more to digitally produced image quality than the no. of megapixels in the image sensor check out these articles:

"Understanding Digital Camera Resolution"
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/res-demyst.shtml

I found this article comparing the EOSD60 and Medium Format very interesting.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d60/d60.shtml

Here's a portion of his summary, referring to the D60 and 35 mm film:
"So how about a straight answer? Is the D60 better than 35mm film, and does it (and similar 6MP DSLRs) start to come close to medium format quality?

For many the answer to the first question is yes. When all of the factors are weighed in the balance the D60 really does give scanned 35mm film a run for the money in terms of image quality and convenience. Certainly the 1.6X magnification factor is a downside for many, limiting wide angle versatility. But with prices that are increasingly affordable for a wider segment of the market cameras like the D60 really do threaten 35mm SLRs on most fronts."

As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!