Re: [OM] OT....screaming eagles.....

Subject: Re: [OM] OT....screaming eagles.....
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:15:13 -0500
At 08:50 AM 1/11/03, you wrote:

The Unit insignia of the 101st Airborne is of an eagle with it's beak
open.  The GIs, who are a bit irreverant, decided it was screaming, sort
of giving its battle cry.  The name stuck and the 101st to this day is
called the Screaming Eagles.  Look at the left shoulder of the soldiers
and you'll see the eagle patch.

Jerry Liles

In these days of irreverence some of us more recent "screaming eagles" referred to the insignia as the barfing buzzard or even the choking chicken. This of course being directly related to the Clinton down sizing and reduction of funding.

I suppose that it is no worse than my stint with the 7th infantry division where thier insignia was known as the crushed beer can.

Charles

Visit the Sdunek family on the web at http://www.angelfire.com/mi/fenriz