[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3805

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3805
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:26:13 -0800

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:23:14 -0800
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] apurely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)

Going a bit OT here discussing Can*n glass now :(

For the two tracks Stephen and I most commonly shoot at in our area, even a
300/2.8 with the D60 would probably be fine. Actually it seems the 100-400L
is quite popular for DSLR use.

Yes, this is exactly right. In fact, I have rented a 300/2.8 from Calumet for the testing I will be shooting the third week of January (Superbikes and CART) at Laguna Seca. Any my 100-400L IS is on it's way! Be here Tuesday. Using it in combination with my 28-135 IS USM gives me a considerable degree of versatility with only two lenses. I expect the 100-400L IS will get a LOT of use, because it will give me a reach of 620 mm w/o a teleconvertor on the D60. That will be nice for the bikes, in particular, 'cause they are so much smaller than cars. Plus, it's amazingly compact for what it is.

BTW, Mike I will have paper credentials for shooting at Laguna! See you trackside! :-)

-Stephen.