Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely

Subject: Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:38:22 +0100
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:25:28 -0700
"James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

> sufficient light to use faster shutter speeds. Atmospheric
> conditions also play a major role. Heat waves, wind, dust, smoke,
> or water vapor all cause image problems with long lenses. Your eyes
> can compensate for these effects much better than the camera/film.

Yeah...these effects are even much more pronounced in underwater
photography, believe me. The mantra for success under water is
"reduce the column of water"....one wants to get CLOSE to the subject
- a 35mm is a long focal length there :)

> When you see super-sharp non-captive
> wildlife images that clearly show individual hairs, know that
> someone went to great pains to achieve that.

Every time I open a copy of National Geographic, I am impressed by
that. I can believe, that patience and great great care is required.