[OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's

Subject: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:10:36 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Siddiq, Rich, John and Mike,
Thanks for your kind words...

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:16:07 -0800
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's! (Mike V, this is for you!)

<SNIP>
I agree, beautiful shot Stephen. As is commonly the case for me with Provia
F, the shadow detail which I am sure is in the slide gets somewhat lost in
the scan. Still, a stunning shot though I think.

Nice quip Richard. I tend to agree that this is a better photograph than a
DSLR is capable of. Maybe Stephen will prove me wrong in a couple weeks, but
this image has a quality that says film. I'm always amazed at the results
Stephen manages to get with the Zuiko 200/4 and 2XA, post processing
sharpening aside, this is a beautiful action shot.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

Mike,
I've also noticed that slide scans tend to lose apparent shadow detail to some extent as well. This is one of the reasons why Dmax and the bit depth of scanners is important. A fellow motorsports photographer on Photosig.com, Dave Smith, has noticed the same thing; and has been working on his Photoshop skills to get better scans. From what I've seen lately, looks like he's getting there. I should try the scan in 16-bit instead of 8-bit and see what that does. What's kind of strange is that this detail tends to come back when I print the scan out on the Epson 820. Why that is I'm not sure of....

I know what you mean about a quality that says "film"; from that I take it you also feel there is a quality that says digital...I would agree, but not always....

Here's two photos I took with the D60...they don't look like they have a digital quality to me, but you decide...

http://www.pbase.com/image/10808860
http://www.pbase.com/image/10809034

Cheers,
Stephen.