Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:54:21 -0800
Digital, schmigital. I certainly don't claim to be able to tell which source is which, at least not on reduced JPEGs. But I do think they are excellent images. The motorcycle is technically excellent too, just doesn't engage me as much as the other 2.

Moose

Stephen Scharf wrote:

I've also noticed that slide scans tend to lose apparent shadow detail to some extent as well. This is one of the reasons why Dmax and the bit depth of scanners is important.

Can you check the histogram from the preview to make sure scan brightness is set right? Or try scans at different brightnesses.

A fellow motorsports photographer on Photosig.com, Dave Smith, has noticed the same thing; and has been working on his Photoshop skills to get better scans. From what I've seen lately, looks like he's getting there. I should try the scan in 16-bit instead of 8-bit and see what that does.

May be worth a try, if only to see what the limits of the scanner are. You can check and adjust the histogram before converting to 8 bit.

What's kind of strange is that this detail tends to come back when I print the scan out on the Epson 820. Why that is I'm not sure of....

Sounds like your monitor isn't calibrated to your printer. The detail has to be in the image to show up on the printer (or the printer/driver are magic?), so if you don't see it on your screen, try adjusting the monitor. You can also adjust the image brightness in Photoshop, either overall, which may throw off the mid and light areas on the print, or selectively for the darkest tones only using Curves.