[OM] Olympus vs. L**c*

Subject: [OM] Olympus vs. L**c*
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:12:01 -0800
Your instructor could start by getting his facts straight.

Leitz did not "invent" 35mm photography. Cameras using scraps of movie film
had been around since the end of the 19th century. Leitz's contribution was
introducing the double-frame format (what we would call "full-frame") and
putting a high-quality lens on these cameras.

I'd like to amplify the comments of others that anyone teaching a
photography course should NOT start out by telling his students that one
particular brand of camera is categorically superior to all others. You can
take great pictures with a pinhole camera made from an oatmeal box and lousy
pictures with a Linhof Technika. To paraphrase the joke about auto safety,
it's "the nut holding the camera" that makes the difference. And you can
tell him I said so.

PS: I'd love to own a Leica M6, if only because it's such a beautifully
engineered "object." But I don't know what I'd do with it! I much prefer
SLRs, and my OM-4T body and motor drive are so expensive that I rarely take
_them_ out of the house.