Re: [OM] First night in Leic*-land. ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] First night in Leic*-land. ;-)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:32:50 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Skip Williams" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I haven't seen the tests that CH talks about, but I'd like to see where
any other manufacturer's 35/1.4 beats the Summilux-ASPH.  I also wouldn't be
surprised if the 50/1.4 Summilux isn't surpassed, as it's a 1961 design.

> The 75/1.4 is a unique lens, and there aren't many medium teles with that
fast an aperture.  I'd like to see a test vs. the Contax 85/1.2, Nikon
85/1.4, or Canon 85/1.2.  The 75/1.4 Summilux is also an older design, from
the early 80's, if I remember right.  But it's very nice.  Many M users
don't like the lens because it's difficult to use wide open becauase of the
razor-thin DOF and mis-matches between the lens and camera rangefinders.  I
see many pro shooters substituting a Nikon or Contax f/1.4 lens in the 85mm
range.  They feel that the SLR is easier to get proper focus on with that
focal length.

Skip, the 35/1.4 tested may not be the ASPH design and most likely not, the
low SQF were due to high field curvature, much higher than you have expected
for a fixed lens (I have read a lot of pop photo tests since 1994). On the
other hand the Leica status was not built in recent ten to twenty years,
they were from the period prior to that, most status were built from the old
lenses. I believe the main reason is the easier to focus range finder (for
focal length below 100mm) and the low shutter vibration.

C.H.Ling