[OM] Re: OT Foreign languages [was: Singapore trip; raining]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Foreign languages [was: Singapore trip; raining]
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:22:00 +0000
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Long may it remain so Jan ;-), but I bet you thought warmly of her
until someone translated for you.

I find that "Friends" has the strongest influence on language here
among younger people.  For instance, you don't ask "may I have a
beer" now, you ask "can I get"; an awful evolution of the language.
I also particularly the removal of "railway station" for "train
station".  Oh well... ;-)

Chris

At 11:07 -0800 14/01/03, Jan Steinman wrote:
 >From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There was an exchange of letters in the Independent newspaper a
couple of weeks ago about the propensity of certain US citizens to
treat Brits as non-English speakers...

I recall my first attempt to chat up a babe in a British pub. I got
her number, and when she left, she said, "Keep your pecker up! Knock
me up some time!

In the US, this has a very different meaning than what I was later
told it meant in the local vernacular: "Keep your nose [spirits] up!
Give me a call some time!"

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker