Re: [OM] E-20 and G-40

Subject: Re: [OM] E-20 and G-40
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:50:56 +0800
Ok, just checked the G-40 spec., seems that it is not a TTL flash.
Based on what I have read from ESIF, I try to explain a bit more:

G40 has four mode, IVP, Auto, Fixed GNs, Multi-strob.

IVP- The camera set the flash power according to the aperture, focus
distance and ambient light. Something like flashmatic.

Auto - Aperture information is sent to the flash by the camera, the
flash control output by the built-in sensor. Just like normal auto
flash you can buy everywhere, the different is you are no need to dial
in the aperture info on the flash itself.

Fixed GN is very simple, no need to explain and Multi-strob is non
related to the discussion.

FL40

TTL auto - A pre-flash is issued and the CCD detect the light
intensity, the camera calculate the power required and issue command
to the flash.

Normal auto - Aperture is set on the flash like all common auto
flashes. Output power is control by the flash built-in sensor.

Fixed GN - Same as above.

May be it still make no different to a users as they just know they
will get accurate flash every time.

I can only say if you want to design a flash that can be used on a
1990 designed film camera and a 2001 designed digital camera it can be
done. Although both G-40 and FL-40 are computer flashes but they are
totally different.

C.H.Ling