Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:58:54 -0800

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 05:02  PM, Michael Kopp wrote:

Most of what the others here are saying about your instructor is good
advice, especially the part about taking what you can, giving what is
required while quietly going your own way, and using it as an advance craft
skills developer.

He seems OK. Tonight he brought in a Leic* R4 with a 90mm F2 (again, with black tape over the logos), but at least there was no lecture about how superior the wonderbox was to other devices in attendance.

The most vital thing that is missing from most photographers work is a
sense of visual literacy. That's what you should work on, and that's what
my suggestions about reading photographs was all about.

I'm always enthusiastic about seeing what others have done and hearing the reasoning behind their approach. Tonight we got a slide presentation about Group F64 and their "West Coast" philosophy. Fascinating stuff to me.

Rob, how about showing us some pictures (or, since I'm lax in reading every word on this list, and have only been here for a year or so, point to some
earlier showings)?

I can put some of my stuff up, but it's mostly really bad. I mean, I expose the film thoughtfully and have a fair grasp of the technical aspects of making an adequate exposure, but I'm a hack and always have been. I'm always hoping I'll break through into someplace where my photos have that wonderful something that I see in the work of others, but so far I've shot a lot of horrid, mediocre photos that exist mainly to document that something happened and I was there. A photo booth at a mall has an eye as perceptive as mine.

-Rob