Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:00:04 -0800

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 10:00  AM, Andrew Gullen wrote:

B.S.

Good concert shots - good framing and you caught action and character.

The subject line still holds. :-)

I appreciate the kind words, but with concert photography the artist gives you great lighting most of the time and they "pose" for you for a couple of hours straight. I have another hundred shots of each of those artists that aren't really anything interesting (or they're technically flawed, usually blurred) and then through sheer quantity I'd get a couple that were OK. I'm not trying to be needlessly harsh with myself, I just don't want anyone to think I'm satisfied with my work. I feel like I've taken the same photograph hundreds of times. I'd really love to start feeling like I was getting somewhere different with my work.

BTW, the color stuff was on my own film. If I was shooting a local lawyer telling the media how spectacular next year's Strawberry Festival was going to be or shooting photos of the Superintendent of Schools explaining the budget and the need for new construction I just shot bulk-loaded HP-5 that I returned to the office for processing and never saw again unless it ran in the paper. When it was something I was into (and as a teenage boy I was mostly into soccer and rock bands) I'd shoot my own film, process it myself and let my employer pick the ones she wanted.

P.S. In my view, the way to get really good: learn about art, visual design and what you're shooting (e.g. for nature become a naturalist), look at a lot of work by top-notch photographers in the genres you want to work on,
shoot a lot of photographs, critique them technically and artistically
yourself, and get critiques from others. And never dump on yourself, it's
discouraging. Any suggestions from others?

These all seem like valid suggestions. I've been taking art classes for a couple of semesters now, hoping that it will have a positive effect on my skills as a cinematographer. I really feel like it's starting to help. My eyes are beginning to open to shots that I don't think would have occurred to me a few years ago. This term my art class is actually a photography class and I didn't have room in my schedule for a second one, but I feel like this will be a good experience, as well (even though I don't own a Leic*...heh...).

-Rob