[OM] If they're B&W, they're not chromes...

Subject: [OM] If they're B&W, they're not chromes...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:12:42 -0600
I, too, have used Scala on occasion. It is a fine film, perhaps the best
from Agfa today. I have used it only at 200, and love the long tonal range,
with a very slight warm rendition. The only question I have, is, who uses
this stuff enough to justify its existence. I have heard that some fashion
shooters use it occasionally.

That said, consider this: there is something about projected B&W that is
similar to projected color. I'm sure that viewing something bright in
subdued light  helps anything, bit it does impress. I'm sure that the film
is capable of a greater range that paper, in either B&W or color. Many years
ago, I experimented with B&W slides. Kodak made a direct positive developing
kit, which, when used with Panatomic X, gave startling results.

I've heard a lot about dr5, but no personal experience. For me, the
practicality of prints outweighs the aggravation of projection.

Bill Pearce