Re: [OM] Maitani's one design flaw

Subject: Re: [OM] Maitani's one design flaw
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:24:41 +1300
At 11:36 -0600 16/1/03, gries wrote:
>Wouldn't it be nice if the aperture ring went the other way?  That is, that
>it would spin the same direction as the SS ring.
>
>I wonder why he did that.

Probably for the same reason he made the focusing ring turn the opposite
direction to almost every other camera on the market!

I had a terrible time getting used to it when I switched from Nikons about
25 years ago, and I'm still not perfect, sometimes losing a pic in a fast
situation because my brain turns the ring the wrong way first.

In fact, it's one reason I didn't change to the Olys right away 29 years
ago when we got our first ones for the family, as opposed to my newspaper
work. (No, it wasn't the snob appeal of the brick-outhouse Nikon!)

More seriously, the probable reason for making the aperture ring turn the
opposite direction to the shutter speed ring may have to do with the
physical interlinking of the two actuators of the exposure meter inputs; if
they both turned the same way the inputs wouldn't be opposable and reflect
the relationship between a decrease in one paramater requiring an increas
in the other, and vice versa.

Just a guess, you understand, I'm not an engineer!

--
Cheers from Godzone,

Michael Kopp
Wellington, New Zealand