[OT] Re: [OM] Catching a thief

Subject: [OT] Re: [OM] Catching a thief
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:12:25 +1100
In message <3E275574.3020607@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Albert writes:

>Are there "motion triggers"?

Yes, there are motion detectors that can send a signal to your camera
controller to start recording. You can spend quite a bit of money on
such solutions, as well. :-) Have your own little CCTV setup. It's
probably not worth it, tho.

>                              I have setup a webcam that will record if
>someone passes in front of it, but I was wondering if I can do something
>like I see on the discovery channel for my camera... of course, he might
>steal that as well...

Well, what you can do is set your webcam to take a shot every x seconds
(as long as x is less or equal 5, you're fine), get your computer to
calculate the checksum (MD5 hash, SHA1 hash, ...) of the photo, if the
hash is equal to the control photo (previous shot or something similar)
discard the photo. If it's different, send it to a server somewhere on
the 'Net. :-)

Requirements: webcam
              computer
              access to the 'Net

Sure, the thief will most probably steal the PC (use something dirt
cheap; old notebook is a nice idea as well, use Kensington lock so that
the thief takes a while trying to take it) but the incriminating photos
should be safe on a server far away.

Cheers,

Saso