RE: [OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: RE: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: "George M. Anderson, Photographer" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:27:06 -0800
I'll chime in here.

There are two sides to the photographic coin IMHO: technical and artistic.
Technical -ie the ability to understand how light relates to film, the
dynamic range of film, the operation of the camera, how to work in the
darkroom (or in photoshop), etc - is pretty much all that's needed for
calendar, most Nat Geo, etc type photos. Artistic 'talent' I'll call it,
must be added to move past this genre. Some people have both, some one or
the other, some neither (they're the ones who buy the Wunderbricks:>).  You
can be a fine photographer and printer with only technical understanding.
But you'd be better off as a painter if all you have is the artistic side:>)
If you add the two together, voila:  you get work like that of Adams,
William Neil, Caponigro, Christopher Burkett to name just a few.

Personally, I learned a great deal about the technical aspects of
photography from Galen Rowell's books. And I thanked him personally for that
the one time I accidently met him in Yosemite. (Also, of course, much
technical knowledge gleaned from Ansel's trio.) The first book of Galen's I
read, "Mountain Light", was given to me in the mid Eighties by my brother.
His timing was perfect as I had just begun my obsession with photography.
This  one book was instrumental in propelling my technical understanding.
I've always loved much of Galen's work, was envious of his physical
abilities which helped him make images I have zero chance of ever taking,
and draw inspiration and knowledge from his books to this day.

That said, I don't think of his work (at least the work I've seen published)
as especially 'artistic'.  For that side of the equation, my learnin' and
inspiration comes from others, mainly B&W'ers. For example Ansel Adams of
course (though I think Ansel was heavily weighted toward the technical
side), but even more so from some of his proteges: Sexton, Barnbaum, Neil
and, in large part, the relatively unknown but brilliant B&W photographer
Ray McSavaney.  (If interested in Ray's work I think his self-published
book, "Explorations" is still on Amazon.com) I took several workshops with
Ray and they were undoubtedly what changed my focus and photo-think away
from Galen-type Nat Geo photos to something hopefully more meditative,
spritual, artistic and perhaps meaningful.  See, eg, my TOPE 12 entry.
Definitely not influenced by Galen. I haven't completely forsaken Galen's
influence, just back-burnered it I guess.

I'm not laying claim to both sides of the coin, but I do aspire toward that
direction, I accept input wherever I find it and I try not to worry about
opinions.

George