Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:16:37 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 9:30 AM -0800 1/16/03, lwunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

First off, thanks to all for the friendly welcome when I posted my intro last
week.  I appreciate it.

Now I'm ready to go out and play with the camera and lenses a little.  If the
weather (snow possible Friday, very cold -- for DC, anyway -- Saturday)
doesn't make me too faint-hearted, I might head out to the anti-war
demonstration on the National Mall on Saturday.

I'd welcome any general or specific tips about photographing political
demonstrations, stories about your experiences, etc.

It depends a lot on what you're looking for -- There will be plenty of interesting massing of people and crowd shapes against the background of either ground or government buildings, shirts and placards, also probably a lot of interesting faces. Depending on where you are, the juxtaposition of speakers or crowds with official presence (cameras, police) can also make for, uh, interesting shots. (I have a nice picture from an anti-draft demonstration back when I was in college, of a sincere kid with a guitar flanked by tv and still lenses).

Take a minimum of equipment unless you think you'll be able to set up well away from masses of people. 280-105, maybe the 24, no flash, no winder (you probably don't want to draw attention to yourself). Oodles of film in either 200 or 400.) Keep your filters on. (The UV filter on my late lamented 50/1.8/OM-1 had a nice mashed spot on it from a stone wall at that very same demonstration.)

Focus on what kinds of pictures you want to make, but also keep at least one eye on the crowd around you, because there will be a fair amount of movement if you're in among people, and having your eye to the viewfinder the whole time is not a good idea. Plan your shots before you bring the camera up.

And have fun!

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx