Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please
From: "Linda Wunderlich" <lwunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 8:44:39 -0500
We received an inch or two of snow last night, so we'll have (slightly) snow-covered ground and bright, sunny skies tomorrow.  I'll probably opt for 200 speed film based on the recommendations of you and others.  I've always liked 100 speed best, but I can see the merits of something faster for a demonstration.

Is there enough difference between a 24mm lens and a 28mm lens (on the 28-105) to justify the nuisance of bringing the 24 and taking the time to swap it out?  Can you describe in some way how much of a difference there is?  I don't have a very geometric brain, so a description of how it looks would be more helpful than something about degrees of view or similar.

I'm also curious about your saying I'd probably use the 70-210 for 900f my shots.  I was thinking that the 70-210 would make it too difficult to take pictures of the people directly around me (for which the 35-70mm range might be most useful?), and might make me take fewer shots overall because it's bigger and more obtrusive.  Are you thinking most of the interesting stuff would be further away, things I'd need, say, 150-210mm for?  I can see where the 210mm would be good for compressing the demonstrators into a photogenic background, say, the US Capitol, correct?

Linda