Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:17:06 -0600
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:16:37 -0500, Paul Wallich wrote:

>Focus on what kinds of pictures you want to make, but also keep at
>least one eye on the crowd around you, because there will be a fair
>amount of movement if you're in among people, and having your eye to
>the viewfinder the whole time is not a good idea. Plan your shots
>before you bring the camera up.

This can't be stressed enough. Although I was doing radio at the time, and not
shooting, I narrowly missedbeing hit in the head by bricks several years ago
when I covered a Klan/Aryan/Skinhead protest against the Martin Luther King
Holiday. I had the misfortune of looking too much like the demonstrators to the
crowd and looking too much like the crowd to the protestors. It got ugly and
press pass only gave me credibility/protection with the Police - and they
weren't
throwing bricks!

--
Barry B. Bean