RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:32:33 -0700
I've recently been fighting DSL/network interface problems and was getting
depressed about that until the problems all got fixed last night. It was an
emotional lift. Reading all the posts about people losing their jobs
deflates some of that lift. It's an awful thing to go through for both the
people that lose their jobs and the people that have to make the decisions
as to who stays and who goes. It's also hard on the families. Unfortunately
those who go are not always the ones who should go. Managers tend to
surround themselves with people they are comfortable with, sometimes to a
fault. I'll join the chorus and offer my sympathy to those suffering. There
is a very good book on this subject by John Tarrant titled "Getting Fired,
an American Ordeal." It was written in the 1970's when we had been going
through another period of business recession. Of course, it was written
before the creation of the internet so the job-search capabilities are quite
different now. Many of the messages are still valid though. I imagine it
would be difficult to purchase now.  I've loaned this book to several people
who have found it helpful and will also loan it to list members who would
like to read it. /jim