Re: [OM] How big is too big?

Subject: Re: [OM] How big is too big?
From: "Diego Sierralta" <cachuu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:30:23 -0400

Hi, I think that 50 or or whereabouts is a good size. It also depends on the speed of the server you're working from, as I have seen sites (lousy servers) that don't even load 10k images quickly. So I guess if you can try there directly and get feedback from as many people as you can (preferably using different ISPs, etc.) you'll know whether the images are loading quickly enough.

What you can also do is simply create links to larger versions of the images, which of course would take hours of work, not to mention storage space, so I'm not sure you'll want to do that....

For the artifacts, try increasing the quality setting on the jpg, you can use smaller sizes with better quality, as large jpgs in low quality generally suck. or you can try downloading some jpg utility for photoshop, which is kind of like a plug-in that replaces pshop's standard jpeg encoding. I haven't used these for awhile, but I believe one utility was called ProJPEG or something.

You don't need the progressive load images at that size, I agree with Garth. They become annoying.

I'm reworking my gallery site and I am trying to decide how big is too big
for image files.  I've tried in the past to keep the files under about 28 kB
for a 650x450 pixel image. But, that is resulting in visible .jpg artifacts
in some images, prompting one of my beta reviewers to rightfully complain.
So, when you are viewing a gallery of images, how long are you willing to
wait for an image to load?  And how big is that in kB for your particular
internet capability?

And, yes, I know about progressive load images.  How do you feel about
those?

Gary Edwards