Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:08:38 -0800
I have a WiFi gateway/router that provides pretty good protection, but have been using ZoneAlarm anyway. I have had a very few reports from it of attempts to reach my conmputers from outside. I have no idea what they were or whether dangerous or not. The other thing ZA does is to control programs on the computers that want to send info out to the Internet without my knowledge. So, for example, I allow Norton Anti-Virus to automatically check for new virus profiles, but don't allow RealPlayer to constantly cause its web site to nag me about upgrades. There have been some interesting surprises about which programs want to commune regularly with their motherships.

Moose

James N. McBride wrote:

You are right about the need for network protection. Our router has built-in
firewall protection but I don't know how good it is. We may need more and
now that we're operational will have my consultant friend give us an
evaluation. My knowledge in that area is weak, like so many other areas.
Thanks for the suggestion.  /jim