[OM] Re: How big is too big?

Subject: [OM] Re: How big is too big?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:51:22 -0800
>From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>I'm reworking my gallery site and I am trying to decide how big is too big
>for image files.  I've tried in the past to keep the files under about 28 kB
>for a 650x450 pixel image. But, that is resulting in visible .jpg artifacts

Make your image smaller, and use less compression.

At an Adobe seminar I went to, they recommended keeping pages to under 60-90 k,
and keeping images to under 400 pixels wide.

Most dial-up lines do no better than 3 kB per second. So the above
recommendation will take 20-30 seconds to load, which is on the long side. I
strive for my pages to load in 10-15 seconds.

>And, yes, I know about progressive load images.  How do you feel about
>those?

They actually take longer to load, although they create the illusion of loading
faster. A progressive will always be larger than a linear for the same quality.
I don't use them.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>