Re: [OM] Galen Rowell and the moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Galen Rowell and the moon
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:43:44 -0800

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 03:17  PM, John Hudson wrote:

Tonight there is a brilliant full moon over south eastern New Brunswick.
Driving home on the Trans Canada Highway the moon rose over the north
eastern horizon at about 5pm and the view reminded me of the image by Galen
Rowell found in the bottom right hand corner of this page:.

http://www.mountainlight.com/stockdept/stockportfolio.html

I an curious about the focal length of the lens Rowell used for this shot
and wonder if anyone might like to offer an opinion.

John Hudson

Those are some powerful glasses you are wearing there partner. :-)

Since the moon is about 1/9 of the diagonal and it is about 1 degree wide the lens would have a field of about 9 degrees. That would make it about 250 to 300 mm assuming no cropping involved. I saw a print at the gallery and it is very nice. Even though it is very graphic with the silhouettes there is some shadow detail to give some richness and the grace of the figure is more obvious.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA