Re: [OM] OT Bushfire Disaster in Oz

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Bushfire Disaster in Oz
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:48:32 -0800
Wow! I hope it doesn't get much worse!

We did the same thing (but bigger, so far) a decade or so ago, when hot, dry winds turned a little brush fire into a firestorm through parts of Oakland. Fortunately, the wind was blowing away from us, but we went up to the end of a street a few blocks away and watched a ridge burn. Whoosh, up went a tree into a tower of flame. A few minutes later, Whoomph, up went the house next to it. People I knew were completely burned out, nothing left but foundation and ashes. Financially and psychologically devasting, at least in the short run. The human animal is remarkably resilient. People I know have gone on with their lives and largely recovered. Except everybody, burned out or not, now gets a sense of unease when those hot, dry East winds blow in the fall.

Moose

John Wheeler wrote:

One of our most photogenic cities was yesterday partly decimated by summer
bushfires. Currently the toll amounts to 4 people dead with about 30
injured, some seriously, and 388 homes gutted. The city is Canberra, our
national capital and emergency services report that the worst is not yet over.