RE: [OM] Siren Song--Which will it be

Subject: RE: [OM] Siren Song--Which will it be
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:43:30 -0800
Ken;

Another good choice-good choice conundrum!

My advice would be predicated on what type of photography you are mainly
interested in, the types of prints you make/would like to make in the
existing/future darkroom, how long you're willing to wait for gratification.

Last one first: the darkroom will take weeks or months to build. The MF
system can start paying off right away, and you can still do printing in
your existing setup.

What do you mainly print in your existing DR? My guess, from seeing your
work, is you print only B&W. If so, a bare-bones darkroom can go a long way.
Only limitation would be size of print you could make. Course making large
prints is probly as important to you as it is to me.

Are you also planning to move into printing color, assuming you don't
already?  ANd if so, negs or trannies? You are going to need some more
equipment for this.  I'd recommend looking for a used Jobo CPA, CPP or ATL
model. You can do up to 20x24 in those.

If you plan to print trannies, AFAIK you're pretty much 'stuck' with
Cibachrome (Ilfochrome Classic). Not that that's a bad thing:>) I heard from
another printer friend and from my darkroom store guy that both Kodak
(Radience) and Fuji(not sure) are no longer selling their pos-to-pos color
materials. Ciba is the only thing left, this all due of course to Epson et
al. Now Ciba, IMHO, was the only one worth using anyway, but it is expensive
and hard to work with. Contrast reduction masking is the rule rather than
the exception (more equipment). I'm very fearful that Ciba will go the way
of the other 2. But my darkroom salesman guy says he doesn't think so
because Ciba has such a large community of fine art printers and others
buying the stuff.  However, most of the labs around here no longer print
Ciba so I'm sure there's some pressure on Ilford to drop it. No No NOOOO.

I've never printed color negs, but I'm pretty sure you can still get small
darkroom materials for this. Fuji Xstal Archive seems to be everywhere after
all.

Lastly what type of photography?  I do want to caution a bit on going
completely to 645, from my experience.  I do own a small 645 system, Mamiya.
I used to have a small Mamiya TLR system but I was never happy with the
quality of the lenses or the mechanics of the setup.  The 645 is much
better. I bought a LN used Pro-TL (non AF) with the best metering prism, a
winder grip and a 120 back for $1500 (less than half of new).  I really like
it, has 3 metering modes including (single) spot.

The 645 lenses are better than the TLRs were.  I have lots of slides from my
best Oly lenses that print a lot better than many of the trannies I did with
the TLR.  I guess my point here is don't assume just because it's a MF lens
that it's necessarily that much better than your Zuikos. Be sure to get the
best lenses you can afford. (Preaching to the choir.)

Lastly, another caution.  There are several things that Oly can do better
(or at least far cheaper) than a MF system.  If you sell all your Olys,
you'd have to spend a huge amount of $$$s on MF to match the Zuiko's ability
for macro work and telephoto work to name just 2. Course if you're going to
do weddings, the 645 is better.  I have a huge Olympus collection, a small
645 setup and a 5 lens 4x5 setup. I use each of them for the particular work
where they excel.

If you wanna talk 4x5 I'd love to.  But it is a whole new ball game and will
require a 4x5 enlarger etc.

Good luck

George