Re: [OM] Re: How big is too big?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: How big is too big?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:53:27 -0800
Well, your math sounds right. Now how did I download 262,741 bytes in under 17 sec. over a dial-up line? I did run it on the same machine at the same time as another browser was using ~1.0Mb ADSL. But if it somehow piggybacked on that, it would only take a couple of secs., not 17. Maybe it was just one shot magic? I did hear it dial up and fail (busy), then dial another number and connect, it even showed the numbers, so it seemed ceratinly to be on the 56k modem. I'd chalk it up to the stopwatch, but even my simple brain knows the diference between 17 secs and something over a minute.
I'll chalk it up to mystery.

Moose

Jan Steinman wrote:

I'd be VERY surprised if you are actually getting 25kB throughput over your
56kb modem line. 5.6kB is the theoretical maximum. I get 19kB tops over a
commercial-grade 160kb synchronous IDSL line.