Re: [OM] Re: Siren Song--Which will it be

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Siren Song--Which will it be
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:21:24 -0800
Many MF systems already accomodate digital, so I think they core issue is if
the MF film system you invest in today will 'upgrade' with a well-integrated
digital back in the future. Right now you can do it, but the backs alone
cost thousands... that cost will likely drop rapidly.

I think MF has enough critical users that the film side of it will persist
for a long while, but there are already digital backs for major MF systems
that approach mainstream film quality (I mean MF negatives scanned on a
normal MF scanner i.e. 4000dpi. I think you can get more from MF negatives
in a high-end drum scan than you can get from digital backs at this time).

What I'd be looking for is a system that currently integrates smoothly and
well with the $10,000 digital backs now available; that implies that that
system may likely be compatible with improved and lower cost (due to Moore's
law) digital backs available in the future.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...