Re: [OM] Galen Rowell and the moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Galen Rowell and the moon
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:44:39 -0800 (PST)
--- Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since the moon is about 1/9 of the diagonal and it
> is about 1 degree
> wide the lens would have a field of about 9 degrees.
> That would make it
> about 250 to 300 mm assuming no cropping involved. >

> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California, USA
The figure I've heard is that for every 100mm of focal
length you get .9mm diameter of the moon on the
negative so a 1000mm lens would produce a moon image
size of 9mm diameter on the negative. However except
for grain or other artifacts of extreme enlargment it
would be hard to tell what lens was used, if you stood
back the right distance so that a man,s height was the
same as the diameter of the moon it could be taken
with a 50mm or just about any focal length.  John R.