Re: [OM] London OM Meeting

Subject: Re: [OM] London OM Meeting
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:49:41 +0000
Yes, the weather was typically British when we met, but very astutely I had chosen a day which would later break out into fine blue skies and sunshine, thus giving us reason to use both monochrome and colour films. :). I wish I could blame the underground network for my somewhat tardy arrival at the event but sadly it was almost entirely my own fault.

We had quite a collection of kit between us, and now I've seen a 21/3.5 I definitely want one! I also saw the 40/2 which I saw advertised for 80 pounds, but which was snapped up by one C. Barker before I got around to phoning the seller...

After Chris left, the four of us remaining wandered over Southwark Bridge and to the Monument (designed by Wren to commemorate the Great Fire of London in 1666), where I persuaded everyone that they should climb the 318 steps up to the top. In my opinion the views from the top were worth it, and I hope Jon, Christine and Sam felt the same way!

On returning to ground level, and perhaps fearing further exhortations to undertake strenuous physical exercise, the Olympus gathering split up and returned to their respective homes. I took two rolls of film, and have put them in for development today. I'll scan and post the results when I get them back. I'm really glad to have got out and taken photos of this city, as it's something I do all too rarely, and it was good to meet fellow OM users who were previously known only as names on e-mails.

I second the motion that we should meet again in a warmer month! But once the sun came out, I did become convinced that London is not such an ugly city after all. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos that we all took.

Roger

Chris Barker wrote:

Well, I have a cold now...

We managed to get our London meeting off the ground, on a cold rainy day (I blame Roger, he chose the day ;-)). We were: Roger Wesson, Sam Shiell, Jon Mitchell (with his friend Christine) and I. Sam took most of the photos (it took me a little while to remember that I was with like-minded souls and that I could stop and take photos without worrying about the them), but I'll see if I can get my shots processed and scanned so that you can put names to faces (if you wish).

We met at the Embankment tube station. Sam got there first and met a chap who was there to meet me to have a look at my OM4Ti/40/2 combo which I advertised for sale a while ago. Sam was therefore confused about this unknown OM lover until I turned up and explained (I was late owing to my inability to read a railway timetable!). My "client" left soon afterwards (professing poverty, but offering me various bodies and lenses in exchange for my camera and lens) and Jon and Christine arrived. Roger was a little late owing to his need for sleep after a late night - he said.

We wandered up the south side of the Thames towards the Millenium Bridge and the Tate Modern gallery. At Roger's suggestion we entered briefly to see Anish Kapoor's huge tube (or something, I did not look to see its name) and to try out wideangle lenses. It was at this stage that I realised that my Ektachrome Elite 100 was rated at 400 in my OM4 (aaargh!), but I was mostly using an XA with XP2 rated at 800, anticipating as I was the grotty weather.

After photos of the Millenium Bridge, and a quick look at the outside of the Globe Theatre (a replica of the original I believe) we all went to warm up over lunch with some Young's Winter Warmer (Sam and I drank that anyway) in the Founder's Arms on the Thames near the Tate Modern. I left after lunch as I had an appointment with a lectern in church that afternoon, but it was a very pleasant 3 hours or so and I should like to do it again, perhaps in the Summer.

Chris