RE: [OM] exposure/lighting question

Subject: RE: [OM] exposure/lighting question
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:58:21 -0700
Magda,

To get strong definition the light needs to be manipulated to create
shadows. Light from one side with the camera aiming a bit from the other
side would be my best guess. Further refinement may involve light from two
sides but with unbalanced intensity. Diffused light sources tend to reduce
shadows so I would guess a more direct light source would be better. Try
looking at your palm from different angles with different light sources at
different angles.

/jim

<<< snip

Anyway, let me get to the question. It's about lighting and exposure
for close-up pictures of palm ridges, scars and other skin features.
And not with the OM-2 but with my digital. I hope one of you
experienced photographers can give me some advice on it.

I continue using the digital for clinic, since nothing beats it for
convenience. Not infrequently, I want to take a picture of the
patient's palm creases, a scar or some unusual skin pattern. I have
already learned to do this without flash because it burns out picture.
But I'm still not happy with the way the pictures are turning out
(aside from the fact that it can get to be hard to handhold the camera
at the low shutter speeds, and I do not want to bring a tripod or even
a monopod to clinic). Would it help to underexpose the photograph or
use some special lighting technique to get the patterns to show up
better? Any manipulations I can do in Photoshop to accomplish this?

Thanks for any advice,
--
Magda Plewinska
Miami, Florida, USA