[OM] Re: Siren Song--Which will it be

Subject: [OM] Re: Siren Song--Which will it be
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:16:15 -0800
>From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I know your real love will be a 4x5.  MF is just a distraction.

<grin>

I've always thought of MF as combining the worst features of 35mm (noisy, no
lateral/angular movements) with the worst features of LF (big, heavy, expensive
film & lenses).

Not to put down any MF fans out there, but I think one reason a lot of 35mm
folks are drawn to MF is familiarity with the basic SLR concept and FUD (fear,
uncertainty, doubt) about bellows, film-holders, etc.

LF is interesting to a 35mm shooter because it makes you 'think outside the
box'. My LF shots don't look much like my 35mm shots. And because it's more
deliberative, my "keeper" ratio is higher.

Besides, you can get an old Graflex with lens for $100 or so. A Cambo,
Horseman, or Toyo with lens isn't much different in price than an OM-4T with
lens. And of course, there's Sinar, for those with Leica budgets...
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>