[OM] N80 was Re: No, just the OM40 PC :)

Subject: [OM] N80 was Re: No, just the OM40 PC :)
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:50:22 -0500
Wow.  I love the OM-PC but I had forgotten this.  Today, I was making some
test exposures to try to calibrate the OM-PC's meter for use as a backup
during vacation.  Others have noted that their meter (on other cameras)
doesn't show a full stop's difference between f/1.4 and f/2.0.  Today the
same thing happened to me with the 28/f2.0 with the OM-PC in manual
metering.  Manual suggested the same shutter speed for wide open (f/2) as
stopped down one (f/2.8).

*THAT* was really alarming.  Tonight I'm gonna try out other lenses to see
if the aperture pin is being interpreted correctly by the camera.  It's
possible that the difference on my 28/2 between f/2 and f/2.8 is something
less than one full stop (in transmission) but the PC's meter display isn't
showing me those 1/3 stops.  Heck, as others have noted it doesn't even show
you 1/2 stops.

<sigh>  The worst part about this is while I was waiting for my prints, I
raised a Nikon N80 with a new dedicated, Nikon Speedlight (strobe) to my
eye.  Now I've been much impressed with this vixen before.  I mean 5 spot
meters, your choice of focus sensors.  Manual everything.  Programmed
everything.  Aperture priority.  Integral film advance without glitches.  IT
EVEN HAS AN ON/OFF SWITCH AND A FIXED HOT SHOE!  I could go on and on and
on.

But this strobe is new and they have thought of *EVERYTHING*.  You mount the
strobe and forget it.  When you turn the camera off, the strobe goes off.
When you turn the camera on and zoom back to 28mm, the strobe turns on and
power zooms to 28mm.  "Wow."

There's a flip up (non-detachable) wide angle diffuser.  Nice.  The salesman
showed me the strobe's tilt-down feature for close-up.

"Yeah," I said, "my Olympus T-32 will do that.  What's this second diffuser
do?"

He smile.  "Well!  If you're using the big strobe, you can point it up at
the ceiling, then popup the camera's own flash and flip down the strobe's
diffuser (over the camera's flash tube).  That way the front fill is
diffused."

"Ooooooh."

"Watch this."  He removed the flash and held it at arm's length, then fired
the camera.  The strobe has a built-in slave.  I think it does TTL at arm's
length but I'm not sure.  The room started spinning.

"Ooooooh."  Then he handed me the prints that showed my OM-PC needs an
overhaul.  "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhn."

Pray for me, my brothers and sisters, for I have lain hands upon the
forbidden N80 and her siren sister Nikon Speedlight.

Lama

ps, I'm beginning to use Nikon-speak.  "Ooooooh."

From: <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Actually, IMO neither of the two-digit-bodies are really suitable for
manual work. The fact that it shows the shutter speed in the viewfinder,
not how "far off" ones exposure is from what the meter recommends, makes
the two-digit-bodies my last choise for manual exposure.