[OM] Siren Song

Subject: [OM] Siren Song
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:22:10 -0800
Just so I do not sound like a crazy man advising Ken to go digital instead of MF:

From the guy who has organized and overseen the Day in the Life books:

All the rigorous planning and African serendipity combined to produce digital results that delighted Cohen. “The digital images are crisper, they have more vibrancy and intensity. I’d told the photographers to bring their other cameras, just in case. That turned out to be unnecessary because suddenly a lot of the photography shot on film just looked sort of mushy and muddy. It didn’t reproduce the same way, which makes sense because the rest of the process is digital,” says Cohen.

Big Change
Douglas Kirkland, who helped convince Cohen to do the project digitally, sees general photography following photojournalism to an all-digital future. “In 10 years I doubt that there’ll be very much film being shot in still cameras. Most young photographers will get very nervous if they have to shoot film because they won’t be able to take a look at that image as they do it. I was hiring a new assistant recently and one of the first things I realized was that it was no use talking to anyone who did not have digital experience. That’s the reality of today in this field of ours,” says Kirkland.

And Cohen, thrilled with the results from Africa, is doing his part to shape that reality. ******* “No one who shoots on my projects going forward will shoot anything but digital.” *********

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA