Re: [OM] Which zoom would you recommend?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which zoom would you recommend?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:42:48 -0800
What are you trying to do? These lenses are pretty different.

Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 is hands down the best of that lot for pure resolution and contrast and the fastest to boot. Only focuses down to 1.5 m, so any close -up work requires tubes. Fast enough to still be useful with telextenders. Decent, but somewhat fragile tripod mount. There is enough flex in the mount itself to tempt one to tighten it too far. I haven't broken mine, but others have. This <http://home.attbi.com/0.000000E+00dreammoose/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-137389.html> is taken with this lens, but the downsampled jpeg doesn't really tell anything about the sharpness. Check Gary's lens tests at <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm> .

Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4 is a nice sharp lens in my experience (and reported by others on the list), but I don't have any lens tests. Lighter weight and easier handling than the 80-200 and considerably greater reach at 300mm. But, slowish at the long end and no tripod mount. I have used it on a tripod quite a bit using the camera mount with no problems. Fabulous close-up and macro capability to 1:1.55. This <http://home.attbi.com/0.000000E+00dreammoose/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-137387.html> and these <http://home.attbi.com/0.000000E+00dreammoose/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-MerchantID-50215-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-15.html> were taken with this lens. the cropped shot at full scan resolution shows performance wide open at 300mm, resting on a car window for support (engine off!).

I don't have a Zuiko 85-250/5. Gary's tests show it to be a decent performer, but nothing special. It is significantly longer and a shade fatter and heavier than the 60-300 and only focuses to 2m. The excellent tripod mount collar that fits the 65-166 tube and 300.4,5 also fits this lens. Big, heavy, slow and more limited range vs. the 60-300 and second rate performance (at least in this company) are why I don't have one. Wins on the two-touch derby, as the Tamrons are both one-touch. Both of my Tamrons 'creep' when hanging straight down, but not at anything less than maybe a 70 degree down angle, so I've never had any movement when using them with a tripod or monopod.

You specified 80-200 range. As a first, general purpose, zoom, I would also consider the Tamron SP 35-210/3.4-4.2 and the Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5. Both excellent lenses, with the Tokina smaller and lighter and rarer. The Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 is an alternate to the Tamron 80-200. Gary's tests show it to be only an excellent zoom performer compared to the outstanding Tamron, but it is enough smaller and lighter to make a significant ergonomic difference. Excellent, sturdy, unobtrusive tripod mount, but part of it can be taken off, so make sure it is all there. Again, rarer than the Tamron.

I just haven't been keeping track of prices lately, but the 60-300 should be $150 or less and the 35-2x0 lenses are pretty reasonable too. I only paid $165 for my Tokina 80-200/2.8, but I thought that was a steal. I think the Tamron 80-200/2.8s run maybe $350ish?? Don't buy one without the tripod mount!!

Moose

Tal Lancaster wrote:

I am interested in getting a Zoom lens and I was wondering which one
people would recommend and why.

Here are some of my criteria:

1. Possibly a tripod mount
2. Two touch (I want separate controls from zoom and focus).  As the
lens would tend to be used on a tripod, I don't want the zoom setting
sliding when the lens isn't level.
3. The lens should be pretty sharp (hopefully as close to a prime as
possible)
4. The zoom should be somewhere in the 80-200 range

Here are the ones I am curently considering
Zuiko 85-250mm F5
Tamron SP 60-300 F3.8
Tamron 80-200 F2.8

Actually I don't know that much about the Tamrons, so I don't know if
they meet all of my criteria.  I just remember hearing people on the
list praising them for their sharpness.

Of these which do you prefer or would you get? How much should I expect to pay for these?
Is there another lens that I forgot that people really like?

Tal