Re: [OM] First night in Leic*-land. ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] First night in Leic*-land. ;-)
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:17:51 -0800

All I can say is... SNOB.

Having owned a Leica (a M-3) back when, I'd rather have my OMs now. Why? I can afford to put lenses on them. I never had any other lens for my M-3 than the 50 mm. Even back in the '70s and '80s Leica lenses were too costly to own. I have a kit of lenses for my OMs ranging from 28 mm to 200 mm, with a Tokina 7 element converter to take me up to 400 mm.

No matter how "superior" a camera is, if you can't afford it, you can't make any pictures, good OR bad, with it.

Frankly, the instructor sounds like a jerk.

But then, I might be wrong...

Ed Senior

You make a good point re the cost of photography acting as the ultimate stop to production. When gear is too pricey to use then the obvious choice is to turn to more affordable equipment.

We don't know the entire story as we weren't at the class when this instructor said whatever he said, but trooping around the front of the classroom with a Leica in hand does sound a little bit like snobbishness. On the other hand, if this guy goes on to demonstrate the capabilities of other camera systems (SLRs and medium- and large-format gear, which all have their own strengths and weaknesses) then perhaps he's out to do his pupils justice.

Tris