Re: [OM] Lens mount question -- help please!

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens mount question -- help please!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:04:40 -0800
Another question would be why you are working to find out about lenses that aren't worth having. Ever wonder why Osawa disappeared without leaving positive stories about their quality? Kiron's been gone for years, but people still talk about their quality. Threre are so many decent lenses available at good prices from the prime third party manufacturers, why go looking for anything else. Sure, it's possible to get a mediocre lens from Tokina, Tamron Kiron, and a bit more likely from Sigma and Vivitar unless you do a little research on which is which, but still much less of a crap shoot than with obscure defunct brands.

The 3rd Party Cult Classics pages may be some help <http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html>

When you say you have been happy with a Vivitar zoom, are you implying that it's a mediocre lens, so you don't need anything better? Viv has made some excellent zooms and some ok ones, but I'm not aware of any really bad ones.. The early Series 1 lenses are legendary. Opinions vary on some more recent ones, but I find my plastic Series 1 18-35mm to be an excellent lens and the only review I've seen of it agrees.

Moose