[OM] OT, cold wx, was Mid-Iowa Eagle and Zuiko

Subject: [OM] OT, cold wx, was Mid-Iowa Eagle and Zuiko
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:09:52 +0000
Cc: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
This is OT...

I seem to remember experiencing that sort of temperature (-22C at
night) on a winter survival exercise in Bad Kohlgrub, South Germany.
We spent 3 nights out in makeshift shelters - teepees constructed
from parachutes, double-skinned - and makeshift sleeping bags
(parachutes again ;-).  The ground was so cold that you had to pee on
it (just a little) to get each makeshift peg in.  On the 4th night
we (a team of 3) had to break camp and walk out to a "safe area"
evading capture by an hunter force on skis.

There was no chance of evading capture except by cheating: we walked
along the edge of the exercise area (in 3 feet of snow I might add)
and found a jaegermeister tending his hunt's deer until about
midnight.  He took us home, fed us jam sandwiches and beer while he
dried our socks and boots in the kitchen, before driving us to the
first RV.  Our supervisors were impressed at our speed and ingenuity
in evading the hunter force.

I was about to write that it was not that cold, but I was about 31
then and nothing hurt me ;-).  I think that another survival exercise
would probably do me some good now...

Chris

At 16:00 -0800 22/01/03, AG Schnozz wrote:
Joel lamented:
And it will be FREEZZZZZZZIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.