Re: [OM] OT Bushfire Disaster in Oz

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Bushfire Disaster in Oz
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:37:01 +1100
I've just got back from a week in Cabramurra. It was totally surrounded and
we thought it was gone. I am amazed lives were not lost. The whole area is
totally scorched earth.
I work for Snowy Hydro (a power generator) and we lost a vital lift house
that is a power and communications reticulation point. And pretty much all
our 11 kV reticulation. We had some very busy days in restoration and
patching mode. Yet the Snowy had power on 36 hours after the fires went
through. The clean up will take months.
One group of people got caught around a radio station. Totally surrounded
and they hid inside. The radio call from the chopper was "they're gone".
This radio station was highlighted as a fire loss whe none came through.
Everything else burnt. I think we are now changing our fire contractors....
One person said to one of the trapped blokes "We thought you were dead". He
replied "I looked out and saw flames. I knew where I was going!".

Foxy