Re: [OM] how come?

Subject: Re: [OM] how come?
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:22:32 +0100
I can not see anything wrong with the South Korean buyer wanting the tone
arm shipped to New Jersey; after all, you specified USA and Canada for
shipping. He probably had a relative or friend in NJ who would have shipped
it to Korea for him.

I live in Denmark and have the same problem with UK sellers who specify
shipping to UK only. I normally request that they ship to Denmark if
possible, but offer them the option of shipping to my mother's address in
the UK. 99% will ship to Denmark when I request it; it helps that I pay by
cheque from my UK bank account, or by PayPal/Billpoint.

The phone number request might have come from the issuer of the money
order; most scams are seller originated (or pseudo-seller), so it might
have been extra security. My own credit card company (Eurocard, partner to
Mastercard) warned me not to use PayPal some months ago, due to PayPal's
earlier suspicious business ethics/practices. I hope that *Bay's takeover
will improve matters there.

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

I had a buyer get really weird just this week on a $122 tonearm.  I just
offered it to the 2nd bidder using the Second Chance icon.  (Is that new?)
It was a snap and the second deal went right through.

In my ad I stated I'd ship only to USA and Canada.  The buyer's id said
he's
in "South Korea".  When he contacted me, he said he'd--- now get this--
he'd be sending me a money order from some outfit I'd never heard of --- in
South Korea-- then he wanted me to ship to--- wait for it-- he wanted me to
ship to New Jersey, USA.  In addition, he insisted that he had to have my
phone number.  I suspect he was going to ask me on the phone to ship right
away "since the money order is on its way from the other side of the
planet"
or something.  So I wrote back that I'd ship anywhere he pleased if he'd
pay
immediately by PayPal.  He said he promised NOT TO USE the phone # but if I
couldn't agree, he'd have to back out.  That was a scam, right guys?

Lama