Re: [OM] how come?

Subject: Re: [OM] how come?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:08:31 +0100
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:22:32 +0100
"Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can not see anything wrong with the South Korean buyer wanting
> the tone arm shipped to New Jersey; after all, you specified USA
> and Canada for shipping. He probably had a relative or friend in NJ
> who would have shipped it to Korea for him.
>
> I live in Denmark and have the same problem with UK sellers who
> specify shipping to UK only. I normally request that they ship to
> Denmark if possible, but offer them the option of shipping to my
> mother's address in the UK. 99% will ship to Denmark when I request
> it; it helps that I pay by cheque from my UK bank account, or by
> PayPal/Billpoint.

I've done the same on a number of occations - shipping to a relative
in the UK rather than to where I am living in Paris, if I am buying
from an UK shop or person.

> The phone number request might have come from the issuer of the
> money order; most scams are seller originated (or pseudo-seller),
> so it might have been extra security.

It probably is. I've seen that done before.

> My own credit card company (Eurocard, partner to
> Mastercard) warned me not to use PayPal some months ago, due to
> PayPal's earlier suspicious business ethics/practices. I hope that
> *Bay's takeover will improve matters there.

Really? I have an Eurocard too (also issued in DK), however have not
received any such warnings? When was that and how did you receive the
warning, Roger?

--thomas

> Regards/Mvh.,
> Roger Key
>

> Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:
>
> I had a buyer get really weird just this week on a $122 tonearm.  I
> just offered it to the 2nd bidder using the Second Chance icon.
> (Is that new?) It was a snap and the second deal went right
> through.
>
> In my ad I stated I'd ship only to USA and Canada.  The buyer's id
> said he's
> in "South Korea".  When he contacted me, he said he'd--- now get
> this-- he'd be sending me a money order from some outfit I'd never
> heard of --- in South Korea-- then he wanted me to ship to--- wait
> for it-- he wanted me to ship to New Jersey, USA.  In addition, he
> insisted that he had to have my phone number.  I suspect he was
> going to ask me on the phone to ship right away "since the money
> order is on its way from the other side of the planet"
> or something.  So I wrote back that I'd ship anywhere he pleased if
> he'd pay
> immediately by PayPal.  He said he promised NOT TO USE the phone #
> but if I couldn't agree, he'd have to back out.  That was a scam,
> right guys?
>
> Lama

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)