Re: [OM] G-forces, was Eyecup question (Toric Lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] G-forces, was Eyecup question (Toric Lenses)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:27:58 +0000
I gather that they are yes.  Of course, real mean don't need
full-coverage anti-g suits and pressure breathing :>).

I too saw some variations in performance at the centrifuge at
Holloman, New Mexico (I think that's where I was, it's a large nation
;-)).  One young F18 pilot did not make it past 8g and was seriously
tired after 3 sets of runs before lunch.  An "old" (over 40, I was 34
then) Commander USN, also F18s did his runs with barely a twitch.  We
watched the video when we wanted and I think that it was a problem
with technique and nervousness; the young chap clearly had the right
physique for resisting g, but I wonder if he was merely a bit too
worried about it all to use the correct "anti-g straining manoeuvre".

Chris