Re: [OM] how come?

Subject: Re: [OM] how come?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:10:43 +1300
Lama wrote,

> I had a buyer get really weird just this week on a $122 tonearm.  I just
> offered it to the 2nd bidder using the Second Chance icon.  (Is that new?)
> It was a snap and the second deal went right through.
>
> In my ad I stated I'd ship only to USA and Canada.  The buyer's id said he's
> in
> "South Korea".  When he contacted me, he said he'd--- now get this-- he'd be
> sending me a money order from some outfit I'd never heard of --- in South
> Korea-- then he wanted me to ship to--- wait for it-- he wanted me to ship to
> New Jersey, USA.  In addition, he insisted that he had to have my phone
> number.

I don't see what the problem is with the buyer's request. If the advertisement
said "will ship to USA only" and he complies with that, so long as he gets
the money to you it doesn't matter if he lives in the moon, and you ship to
the address requested.

I get this a lot for items I want to bid on in the Bay.

If I REALLY want the item, I will e-mail them and ask if they will ship to me
in
NZ, and ask them to look at my feedback (which is all positive and includes
mostly transactions outside NZ). Often they will agree.

One seller thought that him setting "ship to USA only" also meant that only
bidders from within USA could be accepted, and didn't understand the simple
logic that it was not implied. As often happens with these auctions he got a
lower then normal price as a result.

What if the purchaser wants to send the item as a gift to a friend in the
USA? If it is paid for, what's the gripe?

The telephone number is a reasonable insurance measure for the buyer in
case the seller defaults on the sale, and does not respond to e-mails.

To my mind the setting by USA sellers of the flag " will ship to USA only " is
either pure laziness in following the 'bay options and not thinking it through
(perhaps the world ends at the USA border?), or is is an implied mistrust of
any process or person outside the USA. All unwarranted.  Sometimes the
sellers think they will have to meet all extra postal or customs charges
associated with the overseas postage, and just need to be assured (as I'm
sure you all know by now) that the buyer has to meet those and it is normal
practice.
Clear away the misunderstanding and normal business can take place.
Usually.

Brian