Re: [OM] Re: A very interesting article.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: A very interesting article.....
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:42:48 +1030 (CST)
> >CLI is back, with the Mac... the only UNIX machine that also runs
> >Microsoft Office...

<geekmode>

use VMWare under Linux or BSD Unix on PC hardware, still LOTS cheaper
than a Mac, even after the scary price of VMWare (i.e. it's not
freeware). there are versions for other unix variants.

it completely emulates the PC architecture in an X window, down to the
Phoenix BIOS boot screen... a 1.7GHz P4 looks like a 1.1GHz P4 in the
window, this is while the machine is doing other normal unix server
type stuff in the background. one can even run another completely
separate unix system in a window (I know it's pointless but the point
is that you _can_)... this is not just dual or triple boot OS's but
concurrent OS's running on the machine at the same time.

Though why one would even WANT to use M$ anything beats me, (though I'm
stuck with it until my next machine upgrade) ...  bring on
OpenOffice!!!!

</geekmode>

davidt

Adelaide, South Australia